Intern at Access to Medicine Foundation
About the organisation
The Access to Medicine Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that is dedicated to improving access to medicine. Our focus is on stimulating and guiding the pharmaceutical industry to do more for the 2 billion people worldwide who still cannot access the medicine they need. Our main tool is the Access to Medicine Index, which ranks and reports on companies' access-to-medicine policies and practices. Produced every two years, the Index was recently recognized as one of the three most credible sustainability ratings in the world. It is widely used by the companies we measure to learn from each other; and by investors, global health experts, governments and NGOs to gain insight into industry performance. We engage with leading organizations worldwide to trigger real-world change based on our findings.
About the role
We are seeking a motivated intern who will support the Access to Medicine Foundation with current initiatives as well as developing new programmes. The intern will work under the supervision of the Deputy Director for Strategy. Tasks will focus on three areas: (1) strategy, (2) fund-raising, and (3) investor engagement. In a small organization like the Access to Medicine Foundation, the intern will have ample opportunity to learn and actively participate in various aspects of our work. The intern will be asked to assist in administrative tasks when necessary.
As an intern, you will support the work of the Access to Medicine Foundation with respect to three pillars: 1) strategy; 2) fund-raising; and 3) investor engagement.
- Explore potential synergies and partnerships with other organizations
- Prepare briefings in view of meetings and calls
- Assist with outreach activities
- Track the activities of governments and private foundations in the field of global health and responsible business conduct
- Map and prioritize funding opportunities
- Draft funding applications
3. Investor engagement
- Report on developments in the field of responsible investment
- Assist investors’ engagement with pharmaceutical companies
- Explore the business case for the inclusion of access to medicine issues into investors’ decisions
Experience and skills
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. The internship may be part of a policy-oriented curriculum
- Background in business, finance, public policy, international relations, global health, or relative disciplines
- Prior experience or academic interest in global health or responsible business conduct issues
- Track record in academic excellence
- Ability to summarize complex information
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Interpersonal skills, in particular supporting team members
How to apply
Interested candidates please send (1) a 1‐page cover letter, (2) a short writing sample in English on a relevant topic and (3) a max 2‐page CV by e‐mail to [email protected], Attn. Mireille Deen, Access to Medicine Foundation. Please insert “2016 Internship” in the email subject line.
The Access to Medicine Foundation appreciates diversity in the workplace. If qualified, we strongly encourage you to apply for the position.
Job title: Intern
Location: Haarlem, the Netherlands
Remuneration: €300-750 per month (depending on experience and part-time/full-time arrangements).
Contract: 6 months
Closing date: Rolling application