Program Associate at Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment
About the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment
The Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment (CRI) is a Coalition of 40 Catholic Institutional Investors engaged in socially responsible investing. Our mission is to collectively use our resources to work for justice in and through economic structures on behalf of the earth and her people. As religious investors we take seriously our responsibility to drive sustainable policies and practices in corporations and industries. We work to raise the economic literacy of ourselves, our constituents and other stakeholders as we participate in strategies for systemic change.
The Program Associate will work closely with both the Executive Director and the Associate Director to support our socially responsible investing work and the day to day operations of the office.The Program Associate should possess an understanding of business and human rights, sustainability, and the corporate social responsibility field. The Program Associate will work on a variety of human rights and economic and social justice issues, with particular emphasis on the impacts of corporate activity on climate change, water and food sustainability, labor and human trafficking, and ethical practices in the financial sector and abuses in commodities speculation related to world food prices. After appropriate training, the Program Associate will support the Coalition’s Proxy Voting Service, implementing votes in accordance with tailored voting guidelines on director elections, corporate governance, and environmental and social issues. In a small, fast-paced office, this position presents a great opportunity for growth within the position and future career development in the Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) field.
The Program Associate will be responsible for the following activities:
- Conduct research and analysis to support shareholder engagement with Corporations. Conduct research on specific companies and a variety of sustainability and human rights issues as related to our engagement priorities with companies.
- Participate in corporate dialogues with access to high level management to address sustainability, human rights, and climate change issues, such as labor abuses in the supply chain or climate change mitigation.
- Assist in the drafting of talking points, shareholder resolutions, proxy advisor memos, and educational resources in support of company engagements and SRI priorities.
- Proxy voting. Conduct research related to voting proxies for companies' Annual Meetings in support of environmental, social, and governance concerns and implement votes on behalf of clients in accordance with socially responsible voting guidelines.
- Participate in networks and working groups relevant to areas of engagement.
- Support office communications. Contribute to the drafting and editing of monthly newsletters, update organization's website, and maintain social media presence.
- Member engagement. Support capacity building and resource development on SRI for membership of 40 institutional investors around impact investing and climate finance, socially responsible investing, and proxy voting.
- Office Management. Provide assistance in management of day to day office operations. Provide administrative support for the office, including assistance with mailings, special events, communications, travel, coordination, financial management, and IT.
- Bachelor's degree required, focus on human rights, environmental issues, business, or public policy preferred.
- Strong writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Commitment to social justice, care of the earth, and solidarity with people who are economically poor.
- Applicants of any faith tradition or belief system are encouraged to apply. Applicant should have familiarity with and willingness to advocate for tenets of Catholic social teaching on social justice related to the common good, ecology, and poverty, as well as comfort working with members of the Catholic faith tradition.
- Commitment to Tri-State CRI's mission, with respect and understanding for our work.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication, and computer skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic and demonstrate sound judgment. Have a high degree of flexibility and ability to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Proven ability to work as a self-starter and team member.
- Previous office experience preferred.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to [email protected]
Job title: Program Associate
Location: Montclair, New Jersey
Closing date: 8 April 2016