Program Associate, Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment
Location: 40 South Fullerton Avenue, Montclair, NJ, 07042, US
The Program Associate will work closely with both the Executive Director and the Associate Director to support our socially responsible investing work and the day to day operations of the office.The Program Associate will possess an understanding of business, human rights, and the corporate social responsibility field. The Program Associate will work on a variety of human rights and economic and social justice issues, with particular emphasis on the impacts of corporate activity on climate change, water and food sustainability, labor and human trafficking, and ethical practices in the financial sector and abuses in commodities speculation related to world food prices. The Program Associate will focus a significant amount of their time on climate change and environmental justice. This work will advance best practices within companies to mitigate their impact on climate change and promote effective international climate negotiations, and will also support an initiative to leverage our position as socially responsible investors to advance climate solutions.
The Program Associate will be responsible for the following activities:
- Conduct research and analysis to support shareholder engagement with Corporations. Conduct research on specific companies and a variety of sustainability issues as related to our engagement with companies.
- Support ongoing climate change work with companies and faith-based investor community. Monitor ongoing global climate negotiations and assist in the development of policy statements, position papers, and talking points on climate change. This area of work will focus both on our engagement with the companies to mitigate their impact on climate change and to identify ways to leverage our position as investors to finance climate solutions.
- Manage office communications. Contribute to the drafting and editing of monthly newsletters, update organization's website, and maintain social media presence.
- Office Management and development. Provide assistance in management of day to day office operations. Conduct research for grant prospecting and support submission of grant proposals. Participate in networks and working groups relevant to areas of engagement.
- Proxy voting. Assist in research related to voting proxies for companies' Annual Meetings in support of environmental, social, and governance concerns.
- Provide administrative support for the office, including assistance with mailings, special events, communications, travel, coordination, financial management, and IT
- Bachelor's degree required, focus on human rights, environmental science, or public policy preferred.
- Strong writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Commitment to social justice, care of the earth, and solidarity with people who are economically poor.
- Familiarity with and willingness to promote Catholic faith tradition and Catholic social teaching.
- Commitment to Tri-State CRI's mission, with respect and understanding for our work.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication, and computer skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic and demonstrate sound judgment. Have a high degree of flexibility and ability to adjust to changing circumstances.
- Proven ability to work as a self-starter and team member.
- Previous office experience preferred.
About the Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment
The Tri-State Coalition for Responsible Investment (CRI) is a Coalition of 40 Catholic Institutional Investors engaged in socially responsible investing. Our mission is to collectively use our resources to work for justice in and through economic structures on behalf of the earth and her people. As religious investors we take seriously our responsibility to drive sustainable policies and practices in corporations and industries. We work to raise the economic literacy of ourselves, our constituents and other stakeholders as we participate in strategies for systemic change. We engage with leadership within corporations on social, environmental and corporate governance concerns.