Senior Finance Manager at WITNESS
Witness is seeking a Senior Finance Manager (Full-Time) to lead our Finance team.
WITNESS is a nonprofit organization that uses video to open the eyes of the world to human rights violations. We empower people to transform personal stories of abuse into powerful tools for justice, promoting public engagement and policy change. WITNESS was co-founded in 1992 by musician and activist Peter Gabriel as the realization of his vision of capturing the stories of human rights atrocities on video and putting them at the forefront of human rights campaigns. Since then, WITNESS has trained and partnered with thousands of human rights activists to utilize video for change in over 80 countries all over the world.
Witness provides a collaborative, flexible working environment that prides itself on being idea-rich, open, and mission-driven.
The Senior Finance Manager oversees financial administration of the organization, including accounting and general ledger, fiscal analysis, A/P and A/R, internal controls, budgets for grant submissions and reporting, yearly audit, and ongoing financial reporting.
The Senior Finance Manager will manage two junior Finance staff members, report to the Director of Operations, and work closely with the Executive Director, External Relations team, auditors, and with the WITNESS Board of Directors Finance Committee as necessary.
- Oversee all day-to-day finance and accounting functions, including bookkeeping, accounts payable and receivable, coding and processing of bills, check payments, deposits and credit card transactions, invoicing, inventory control activities, and vendor relations.
- Benchmark, track and monitor operating revenues, expenses, and cash flow.
- Accountable for production of budgets for grants and other funder proposals and submissions; for financial reports and budgets in compliance with grant requirements; for monitoring compliance with funder financial requirements.
- Support the Director of Operations to develop and monitor organizational annual operating budgets and other special budgets.
- Help develop long-range, capital and other special budgets as required. Oversee all accounting and finance activities to ensure the fiscal integrity and accuracy of annual audits, tax reports, and other required filings; lead the internal process for all applicable tax filings and financial compliance.
- Adhere to standard accounting principles and practices; update and implement the Finance department procedures manual.
- Participate in strategic financial planning for the organization and develop financial models to support organizational goals.
- Coordinate and oversee the production and presentation of monthly and quarterly financial reports, including income & expense and cash flow reports.
- Oversee maintenance of the general ledger, including schedules of all balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare tax reports and other financial information for audits. Coordinate and oversee the work of external auditors.
- Coordinate with Human Resources Manager on payroll, tax, and financial-related matters, including compliance, running semi-monthly payroll and 401k contributions, and as otherwise needed.
- Assist staff regarding financial and other data as needed.
- With Director of Operations, develop annual goals and objectives for the Finance department.
- Review investment analysis for all investment accounts, ensuring that all activity (sales, purchases, gains and losses) are recorded on a monthly basis.
- Take the lead on banking and investment relationships.
- Participate on the Board of Directors Finance and Audit Committee.
- Design, implement, and oversee policies and management for all financial information and documents.
- Hire, train, and supervise Finance staff, consultants, and interns.
- A minimum of 7-9 years experience in finance, accounting or a related field, with at least 5 years management experience in finance preferred.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree in Accounting or Finance required or equivalent experience; Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field or a CPA is a strong plus.
- Expertise in financial analysis and activity, accounting, budget development, control, and reporting.
- Proficiency with MS Office and financial accounting software is required (experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge is a plus).
- Experience with nonprofits and grant budgeting and reporting is strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to communicate financial information in ways comprehensible to people outside the finance field, as well as strong organizational and management skills required.
- Proactive, detail-oriented, and strategic thinker; must be both architect and implementer;
- Demonstrated interest in social justice and/or human rights preferred.
Job title: Senior Finance Manager
Closing date: Rolling application