Senior Policy Analyst at Access
Access (accessnow.org) is a growing organisation dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, and technology teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa, North America, and Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Position
We’re looking for a Senior Policy Analyst/Counsel to work within Access’ Policy arm in Brussels to develop and provide tech-driven policy guidance to governments, corporations, and civil society with a view to defend and extend the digital rights of users at risk around the world.
The Senior Policy Analyst will be involved in all aspects of the organisation that pertains to Access’ policy initiatives, particularly around issues of Telecoms policy and Network Neutrality. They will work closely with the European Policy Manager, Policy Director, and Executive Director and Access’ staff focused on realising how to achieve meaningful protections for the free and open internet on the EU-level.
- Design, coordinate, and execute various Access policy initiatives in Brussels and internationally;
- Convene discussions with various stakeholders, including partner organisations, the press, and policy makers;
- Analyse and review national and international laws as well as legal rulings addressing aspects of network neutrality and digital human rights;
- Develop best practice international standards and policy guidance to EU institutions on network neutrality and other human rights protections within the digital sphere;
- Research and write policy briefs, reports, blog posts, position papers, briefing memos, comments to governmental consultations on these issues and other pertinent policy documents;
- Prepare advocacy materials for internal and external use;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of organisational partnerships;
- Represent Access at conferences and other events as asked of you by the European Policy Manager or the Policy Director;
- Degree in law, European law, computer science, political science, international relations, or a similar field;
- Solid understanding and interest in human rights, EU policy, technology, and public organising with a deeper knowledge in at least one of these areas;
- Able to bridge the gap between policy and technology (technical background a plus);
- 2-4 years relevant work experience in the areas of internet freedom, internet governance, human rights, legal education, political communication, internet engineering, and/or new technologies, with increasing levels of responsibility;
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to produce well-written policy briefs and media relations and public education materials;
- Global perspective and ability to participate in a team with people from around the world;
- Experience working in a grassroots organisation with member activists’ is a plus;
- Ability to organise and facilitate events, workshops, and small meetings;
- Fluency in English is required and knowledge of German or additional EU language preferred.
Job title: Senior Policy Analyst
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Closing date: Open until filled, start February 2015