Social Responsibility Intern at IPIECA
IPIECA is the global oil and gas industry association for environmental and social issues. It develops, shares and promotes good practices and knowledge to help the industry improve its environmental and social performance. Founded in 1974 following the establishment of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), IPIECA provides the principal channel of communication for industry to the UN.
Through its member led working groups and executive leadership, IPIECA brings together the collective expertise of oil and gas companies and associations. Its unique position within the industry enables its members to respond effectively to key environmental and social issues including: oil spill response, climate change, fuels and products, health, biodiversity, social responsibility, water and sustainability reporting.
IPIECA members are drawn from international, national and private companies as well as national, regional and international associations.
This is an entry-level role in which the intern provides support to the Social Responsibility and Supply Chain Managers. This involves a wide range of tasks covering the spectrum of social performance issues and opportunities that relate to the global oil and gas industry, including the implementation of international human rights frameworks such as the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and the Voluntary Principles for Security and Human Rights; together with managing risks in the supply chain with respect to labour standards and the environment.
The primary responsibilities of the Social Responsibility Intern will be to provide project support in the delivery of the Social Responsibility and Supply Chain business plans. Key activities will include:
- Supporting the work of IPIECA’s Social Responsibility Working Group including business and human rights, responsible security, local content and indigenous peoples
- Supporting the work of IPIECA’s Supply Chain Task Force work including labour standards and beyond compliance environmental issues
- Organising and supporting teleconferences, Working Group meetings and external workshops, including handling logistics, preparatory work (presentations, agendas and prereads), taking minutes and following up on action points
- Keeping website content up-to-date, developing internal and external communication materials for meeting and events and contributing to IPIECA’s activities on social media
- Planning, organising and facilitating webinars with members and external stakeholders
- Keeping members informed of Working Group activities and required actions; coordinating and responding to member queries
- Coordinating the development of guidance, reports and publications
- Monitoring and coordinating IPIECA presence at external events
- Providing briefings on industry trends through attending meetings and desk research
- Monitoring emerging environmental supply chain issues and initiatives that may be relevant to the oil and gas industry
Reports to: Social Responsibility Project Manager
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to organise own work load and support multiple projects in busy work environment
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to work with senior individuals
- Proficiency in IT at intermediate/advanced level
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Preferable Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience working in a business environment or in a non-profit role liaising with the corporate sector
- Experience writing news items, policy briefings, and/or internal reports
- Knowledge/understanding of corporate social responsibility issues for the oil and gas industry
- Post graduate degree in relevant subject
Job title: Social Responsibility Intern
Salary: £21,000 per annum
Closing date: 18 March 2015