Staff Attorney (Finance), Climate & Energy Program
Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL)
- Location: Washington, DC
- Rolling application
The Center for International Environmental Law seeks a seasoned attorney and advocate with substantial expertise in finance and securities law to become the newest member of our Climate & Energy team. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional and proven legal campaigner to do cutting edge legal work to confront the urgent challenge of global climate change.
Summary Description: For more than 25 years, CIEL has used the power of law to protect the environment, promote human rights, and ensure a just and sustainable society. Our Climate & Energy program uses international and trans-boundary legal strategies to address the threat of climate change while advancing the cause of global human rights. We work to accelerate the transition from fossil fuels by encouraging investment shifts and holding State and corporate actors accountable for their contributions to climate change. We are seeking a dynamic professional and seasoned lawyer with corporate experience to augment these efforts and help ensure financial actors and markets properly consider climate-related risks.
Primary responsibilities include drafting and submission of expert comments, legal perspectives and other analyses; leadership in and execution of campaigns that target key financial actors including credit rating agencies, pension funds, and mutual funds; advocacy with diverse stakeholders (both in the finance and regulatory spaces); representing CIEL in coalitions, negotiation processes, public meetings and workshops; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with partner and financial organizations, relevant agencies and intergovernmental organizations; and developing and implementing domestic, international and transnational legal strategies to accelerate action on climate change.
The successful candidate will have knowledge and practical experience of finance and corporate and securities laws; experience with law and policy relating to climate change; demonstrated ability to do complex legal and policy analysis; public speaking skills; and exceptional legal research and writing skills. The ideal candidate will also have experience with international, environmental or human rights law; experience with non-profit policy advocacy or corporate campaigns; proficiency in one or more foreign languages; and experience with fundraising to support project goals. Salary is commensurate with experience.
• J.D. or equivalent law degree;
• At least five years’ experience with securities law, corporate law, financial transactions, and related litigation, including at least two years in a public advocacy context.
• Demonstrated knowledge of climate law and policy.
• Exceptional research, writing and communication skills; demonstrated ability to write clearly and compellingly for a variety of audiences, including policymakers and the general public;
• Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team;
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
• Demonstrated experience working with a diverse range of people and groups;
• Ability to travel periodically and for extended periods; and
• Member of good standing in State Bar and eligibility for admission to DC bar within one year.
Complete position description is available at: [URL]
Location: Washington, DC.
To Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, two references, and a writing sample to [email protected] (include “Staff Attorney (Finance), Climate & Energy Program” in subject line). The writing sample should represent the applicant’s own, unedited writing.
Application Deadline: ASAP. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIEL is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is an equal opportunity employer offering an informal, friendly, and fun work environment with excellent benefits.